Without question the most iconic Art Deco Rolex is the Prince, universally celebrated for its unsurpassed quality and elegant style. Appropriately named, it was the perfect accompaniment for prominent doctor's, business financiers, or any man with discriminating personal taste in timepieces.
Featuring a long, stylish case and an ultra-high quality mechansim, in many ways these incredible wristwatches set the standard of the day for refinement and accuracy in a rectangular watch.
This rare, Rolex Prince Brancard for Eaton as 1/4 Century Watch is a fine original example of a rare version of one of these watches. Here are a few of the features that make this wristwatch so special:
- So-called Brancard Prince Ref. 1490, a very desirable member of the celebrated Rolex Prince family of watches
- Eaton 1/4 Century Club - These watches were given to employees of the T. Eaton Co. (a prestigious Canadian department store) in recognition of 25 years of continuous service. Besides being a Prince, their rarity also derives from the fact that almost uniquely among Rolex timepieces, the watches display no external "Rolex" branding. The T. Eaton Co. had its origin in a small department store Timothy Eaton opened in Toronto in 1869. The business boomed and in the following years many more stores were opened all over Canada. Each of them published its own catalog and by the early 20th century most families across the country had an Eaton's catalog in the house. By that time the T. Eaton Co. Ltd. was one of the largest retailers in Canada.
- Mechanism officially tested and certified by Swiss government observatory scientists. Movements had to achieve "Super-Excellent" rating throughout the rigorous trials to receive this recognition
- Better quality movement design featuring an oversized winding barrel and balance wheel. By placing this two mechanisms at opposite ends of the movement the watch achieves incredible levels of accuracy and carries a longer power reserve, enabling it to run longer and more accurately on each wind
- Extremely elegant, 14K gold case which makes it appropriate for both casual and dress wear
- Larger, peripheral seconds dial insures the hour and minute hands never obstruct the view of the seconds
It is beautiful original condition down to the dial and all hands.
Its long, flared gold case is just short of mint and still retains strong lines and a clear hallmark. Its iconic, duo-dial Prince face is original. It appears to have been cleaned and re-laquered at some point, though it does not appear to have ever been refinished. The only replacement part on the watch is the crown. Its high-grade Rolex movement is in beautiful condition.
Accompanying the watch is a rare period Rolex box and included with the purchase is a one-year warranty on the movement and its function and a timing certificate attesting to its performance.
This a rare opportunity to own an exciting historic timepiece most often found only in New York and Geneve offering houses and museums of timekeeping.
Country of origin: Switzerland
Serial no.: 284,644
Year sold: 1944
Model: Ref. 1490, Rolex Prince Brancard
Functions: Time, Large subsidiary seconds
Designed for: Men
Case material: Solid 14K gold
Case markings (inside): ROLEX, GENEVE - SUISSE, 31 Victories, precious metal hallmarks
Case condition: Just short of mint with light previous signs of polishing. Still retains strong lines a clear hallmark.
Dimensions: 24.5mm wide at widest point, 43mm long lug tip-to-tip
Dial: Silver, Arabic numerals, signed Eaton 1/4 century club, original. It appears to have been cleaned and re-lacquered, though it does not appear to have ever been refinished.
Hands: Blue steel, batons, original
Movement type: Original Rolex, 'Extra Prima' quality (the highest rating for a Rolex movement at the time) 7''' 1/2, rhodium plated, 15 jewels, lateral lever escapement, cut bimetallic balance, 6 adjustments, Breguet balance-spring
Movement markings: Rolex, Extra Prima, 15 rubies, Swiss Made, 1492, Timed 6 Positions, Chronometer
Jewels: 15 rubies
Band: Crocodile, fully stitched, padded, brand new and unworn with vintage gold plated buckle of unknown origin signed Rolex. Note that the watch now has a correct wider band than it did when the photos were taken.
Crystal type: Mineral glass, excellent condition
Warranty: 1-year warranty. Please email email@example.com for details.
Box/Papers: BOX - Connoisseur of Time watch presentation box; PAPERS - Custom printed Connoisseur of Time Certificate of Authenticity; New timing certificate
Returns: 7 days full refund. 100% satisfaction guarantee
We offer a 100%
satisfaction guarantee for all of our watches. If you are in any way
unsatisfied with the watch we will fully refund the purchase price anytime
within 7 days after the watch has been received. Our goal is to exceed our
client's expectations throughout the buying experience.
All watches are packaged carefully and mailed double boxed in specially
constructed, reinforced shipping boxes designed for high value items. All
watches are sent fully insured with signature required. Most of our domestic
shipping is done through FedEx. At times we will also use USPS Express Mail,
and we can accommodate most requests for your preferred carrier.
International shipments are sent USPS International Express Mail or FedEx.
The purchase price will be the declared value of the merchandise on any
required customs forms. The payment of all customs duties, tariffs, and
taxes are the responsibility of the buyer.
Also note that water resistance of vintage watches can no longer be
guaranteed and is not covered under the watch's warranty. We do not
recommend getting a vintage watch wet, even one that was originally designed
to be waterproof.